Are we in an era of economic & technological stagnation?
This post needs to be developed further: Great ideas from podcast notes
Interesting ideas from a new podcast, The Portal I hadn't heard before:
We are in an era of economic stagnation.
- definitely I've heard this one, but there are more facts and figures to look up:
an era of technological stagnation
Go into a room and subtract off all the screens. How do you know you are not in 1973 but for design? There aren't that many clues.
- The idea that we are in an era of a
dizzying sense of changeis unfounded.
an era of institutional / educational stagnation
- Student loans are an issue. With the magnitude of loans you are forced to take less risk.
There was a new student loan policy that made student loans unforgiveable. At age 65 Social Security will garnish your wages to pay off your loans
- this also may have given Educational Institutions further leeway / incentive to raise tuitions
- Institutions push back against change.
- University presidents are no longer great thinkers. They are simply great administrators.